Things to Know When Ceaning up Asbestos and Lead from Old Homes

When you decide to buy an old house, you may get into various difficulties. The design regulations of the old house are different than the modern ones. Many things that were allowed before in construction are no longer permissible. Use of lead and asbestos are such materials that are not allowed to be used in construction anymore due to their harmful properties. However, many old homes still have these. So, before you get into your historic home, you should remove these harmful components. Here are some of the things you should know about lead and asbestos.

Rules for working with lead

If you bought a house that was built before 1978, then you should assume that it has lead-based paint. According to the Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) rules, any contractor that comes in contact with lead paint must complete a certification course. They must follow strict guidelines. This work is very labor intensive, time-consuming and expensive. If a plumber or anyone works on any project that includes more than 6 square feet of the lead-painted surface, then that person must wear an HEPA-filtered respirator. After finishing work, they must seal off the room and get rid of the debris. They should remove lead dust from their clothes, boots, tools, etc. that were in the workplace. If these rules are not followed then you will be fined by the authority.

Dangers of lead

Lead is poisonous and it can lead to chronic headaches and even brain damage. If children ingest paint chip or inhale lead dust then it could be dangerous for the children’s health.

Asbestos

If you find asbestos in your old home after doing a home inspection, then you should take steps to remove them. It can be found in the floor tiles. If you leave asbestos undisturbed, then it is not harmful. But for your peace of mind, you should get rid of them. It is necessary to seal the asbestos-contaminated rooms when removing them. You should scrape it off and dump it in a landfill that has a license to take care of asbestos. This clean up is also expensive.

You might have other problems like termites or mold in the old house. People who take care of the lead and asbestos problems also can fix the termite and mold issues. As lead and asbestos are toxic, you shouldn’t handle it yourself. You should hire a professional to do the job. You should remember that lead and asbestos are bad for your health. It is your duty to look after the well-being of yourself and your family. So, you should remove any trace of lead or asbestos from your old home.